The turnip is synonymous with Irish cuisine. A root vegetable that we often under appreciate.
Here at Wells House and Gardens when we think of the humble turnip we smile and remember the farmers that once devoted their time to growing the best turnips in the country here.
The farm was a hive of activity. There were horses used for work and a herd of Aberdeen Angus cattle. Generations of the Gordon family ran the estate forge where all the horses from the farm were shod.
The noise from the pack of fox hounds travelling for miles and the cackles from the chickens was a common musical feast heard on the grounds.
The farm was a great source of pride for Robert Stephen Doyne and his eldest son Charles Mervin. They both were enthusiastic farmers with a competitive character and they would enter the produce from the farm into agricultural shows here in Co. Wexford and in Co. Dublin.
Mr Gouk was the farm manager in 1863. He was a strong stern man and was known to never shy away from the manual work on the busy farm, he was very successful in his role.
In the late autumn of 1863 a giant turnip crop was harvested at Wells House and they were exhibited in Dublin. Three years later Robert Stephen won a £50 prize cup awarded by Prentice’s Superphosphate for the best 20-acre field of swedes.
Robert Stephen Doynes’ and Mr Gouk’s names, and the success of the crop produced at Wells farm, continued to be used to advertise Prentices’ Fertiliser company for several years after.